The Signing Naturally Units 7-12 Student Workbook and videos are designed to complement coursework in American sign language (ASL) and build upon skills you learned previously in Units 1-6. These materials, along with class instruction, give you opportunities to:
– Review and expand the practice of the key grammar from Units 1-6;
– Practice other language functions and their key grammatical features;
– Expand vocabulary and range of topics;
– Increase narrative and conversational fluency;
– Compare aspects of ASL and English through translation exercises;
– Compare aspects of the Deaf culture, American culture, and your own culture;
– Understand your role as an ASL student in the Deaf community.
The main goal of the Signing Naturally Student Workbook Units 7-12 and DVDs materials is to engage you in conversations utilizing appropriate cultural behaviors. Since the classroom experience may be limited to a few hours a week, the student materials are developed to supplement classroom learning and provide further practice. The video materials model the vocabulary, sentences, conversations, and narratives to be learned and the printed materials provide explanations, readings, and resources. All with one goal in mind, to help you achieve meaningful interactions within the Deaf community.